A common question we are all asked here at TC TA is “What exactly can you carry as a security officer in the state of Texas?”
As a Level 2 Non-commissioned Security Officer you’re allowed to carry the following:
- Pepper Spray (if certified)- lots of wrong information being out about OC- ask us we will set you straight.
- Conductive Energy Weapon (license not required but training is highly recommend)
- Stun guns
As a Level 3 Commissioned Security Officer you are allowed to carry the following:
- Everything that a Non-commissioned security officer can carry plus:
- Baton if certified (must take a baton class and be a Commissioned officer)
- Handgun if certified
- Shotgun if certified
As a Level 4 Personal Protection Officer you’re allowed to carry the following:
- Everything that a Non-commissioned and Commission officer can carry plus:
- You are able to work in plain clothes
- You are able to conceal your weapons
A few special notes:
- You CANNOT use a Concealed Handgun License (LTC/CHL) in conjunction with any security work whatsoever.
- You are required to take a pepper spray class in order to carry pepper spray as a security officer.
- In order to carry a baton, you must be a commissioned officer and have completed a baton course..